Banksy – the graffiti artist – criticising our culture
This month we will work on our reading skills.
What can you do to improve your reading comprehension?
Here are a few tips:
- GUESS Look at the visual clues before reading. What do they tell you about what you are about to read?
- Read the story, don’t focus on the words you don’t know.
- Activate prior knowledge (what do you know about this subject?)
- Use context clues to help you infer meaning of the words you don’t understand
- Identify the KEY WORDS
- Visualize the story, what do you see (you can draw what you have understood if it will help you understand better)
- Summarize all of this using a mind map https://englishwithmrstraumat.wordpress.com/6-tools/
- Tell someone about the story in your own words, summarize using the mind map or write a summary. Always re-use the information you learned about in one way or another.
Visit this page to WRITE A LETTER:
Unit 7 – GEEKS
Analyze this cartoon:
- Who? Where? When? What?
- What is the cartoonist’s goal?
- Do you find it funny? Why or why not?
Read this article and put the reading strategies to practice:
- What problems are parents confronted with?
- Write a comment on the website to give your opinion and to give some advice to the parents.
Listen to Placebo, “Too Many Friends”
- What has the writer decided to do?
- List the arguments given to explain his decision.
- Do you share the narrator’s point of view in the chorus? Why or why not?
What do you know about Silicon Valley?
What do you know about David Karp – a prodigy?
Instagram founder Kevin Systrom: