What can you do to improve your reading comprehension?
Here are a few tips:
- GUESS Look at the visual clues before reading. What do they tell you about what you are about to read?
- Read the story, don’t focus on the words you don’t know.
- Activate prior knowledge (what do you know about this subject?)
- Use context clues to help you infer meaning of the words you don’t understand
- Identify the KEY WORDS
- Visualize the story, what do you see (you can draw what you have understood if it will help you understand better)
- Summarize all of this using a mind map https://englishwithmrstraumat.wordpress.com/6-tools/
- Tell someone about the story in your own words, summarize using the mind map or write a summary. Always re-use the information you learned about in one way or another.
This worksheet might help you:
Watch this for the Baccalaureate:
Here are a few links for reading comprehension: